According to an online report from Sierrasun.com, drinking water at Squaw Valley’s upper mountain was tested and was found to have coliform bacteria and E.coli. The report was made in the first part of November by the Placer County Department of Environmental Health. In response to these findings, Squaw Valley made a detailed statement, the article says.
During the following weeks, the water has been treated and tested consistently. The article states that the water’s condition is improving. Four wells provide drinking water for the upper mountain. As of the end of November, three of them show no E. coli and small levels of coliform. This was reported to the Sierra Sun by the director of Placer County Environmental Health, Wesley Nicks.
Skiing from top to bottom has safely resumed at the renowned Squaw Valley Ski Resort, says the article. To date, there have been no reports of any health issues related to the water. For safety reasons, upper mountain restaurants are temporarily closed and visitors are not permitted to drink the water.
The article reprinted a statement concerning Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows on November 30. It was written by the Public Relations Director for the resort, Liesl Keeney. According to Keeney’s statement, there were several water systems in Placer County that were affected in October by an unusually heavy rainstorm. It caused an overflow and contamination in the new water system that was recently installed at Gold Coast and High Camp, says the statement. The contamination was inclusive to this water system and did not affect the other systems, says Keeney. He adamantly states that the public had no access to this contaminated water.
The contamination was first discovered by Squaw Valley’s routine water testing. Keeney says that the resort immediately consulted the Placer County Environmental Health and Squaw Valley Public Service District to report it. They also contacted other water safety experts for advice. Keeney says that the resort is working on the issue and will continue until the water system has returned to normal. When health officials give the approval, Squaw Valley will return to their regular water usage at Gold Coast and High Camp, says the statement.
Keeney emphasizes the importance of safety for all of Squaw Valley’s visitors. He states that any safety issues are taken seriously. Visitors who are staying at Gold Coast or High Camp will have full access to Squaw Valley’s facilities, says the statement. They will also enjoy free bottled water to drink. The resort will keep all visitors updated on the situation, and will inform them when the issue is fixed. Keeney offers thanks to the Squaw Valley Public Service District and to Placer County authorities for all of their help in the matter, says the statement.